If you’re looking to become a master in streetwear style, your first step is to start from your capsule wardrobe. Is your wardrobe outlook basically collared shirts, trousers pants, and suits? if yes, then by all means this article is for you.
Having a versatile capsule wardrobe not only improves your personal style but also shows the public how much of a stylish master you are, being able to mix and match streetwear and classic pieces together.
So basically a capsule wardrobe is a collection of clothing pieces which are intentionally picked to provide versatility, variety and of course, functionality to the wearer. The whole concept of having a capsule wardrobe is being able to have alternative pieces of clothing when stepping out.
A typical capsule wardrobe should consist of a number of clothing items for each category, including but not limited to tops[t-shirts, round-necks], bottoms[trousers pants, jeans], outer-wears[jackets, suits]
The Core Pieces for a Streetwear Capsule Wardrobe
When building a versatile capsule wardrobe from the start, you’d have to tick a few boxes for a successful run. One of them is to make a list of items/pieces to include in your capsule wardrobe.
- Vintage shirts
- Versatile Footwear
- Denim pieces [jackets, jeans, outer-wears]
The above list is just the exact starter pack for one looking to begin building his versatile capsule wardrobe. However, as time progresses, one can begin to add other high-end pieces to elevate that wardrobe.
NOTE: Colors should also be factored in when choosing streetwear pieces for your wardrobe. For starters, neutral colours should be your go-to colours as they are easy to pair with any given fit and also are good for setting a solid tone when layering.
Balancing Streetwear and Classic Styles
Streetwear clothing as a style is very versatile, this allows it to harmonize perfectly with any type of style including classic style.
How do I balance streetwear and classic style, you may ask. Here are eight major hacks for balancing your streetwear with classic looks:
- Simplicity: Start with the basic simple items. Well-tailored pants, dress shirts, jackets, etc., these simple statement pieces when paired correctly can introduce a streetwear vibe into your appearance without even doing too much.
- Streetwear Accessories: Introduce streetwear accessories into your looks. We all know accessories are the finishing touches to any look, so to give off that streetwear vibe, why don’t you finish that classic wear with some of these elements; statement eye-wears, classic baseball hats, statement belts, sneakers, and so on.
- Mix Textures: A combination of textures creates a contrast and balances out the two styles being paired together. For example, pair a leather jacket (streetwear) with a silk blouse (classic) or denim jeans (streetwear) with a tailored blazer (classic). You can notice the play in textures on this fit, right?
- Subdued Color Palette: Sticking to a neutral or subdued color palette for classic items, allows your streetwear pieces to stand out. For streetwear accessories, like caps, socks or bags, use print or patterned designs to inject personality into your outfit. This immediately creates a balance between your classic and streetwear styles.
- Footwear Fusion: Somebody once said never to judge an outfit until the shoe has been worn. In this case, that statement is very valid. Statement footwear can create a balance between streetwear and classic style. You could wear a blazer and pant trousers only to finish off with a pair of sneakers. That alone has changed the game entirely and also has made the balance required.
- Layer Strategically: Layering is an Art, In this case, it’s much more deeper. When balancing streetwear and classic pieces, there’s really no boundary as to how much you can explore your creativity. Yes, you can very much layer up your hoodies with blazers, as seen below. You’re automatically seen as a style maestro who knows his game and that is good feedback!
- Focus on Fit: Fit is important when it comes to clothing. Be it oversized pieces or very slim ones, it all boils down to how it fits your body structure. So when balancing your clothing pieces together, you may want to factor in the exact fittings so as not to look edgy. Combine slim-fit or tapered classic items with relaxed-fit streetwear pieces for a balanced silhouette.
- Trends and Timelessness: Blend timeless classic pieces like a navy blazer or a well-tailored suit with trendy streetwear items like oversized hoodies or chunky sneakers. Keep in mind that streetwear trends evolve quickly, so focus on investing in classic pieces that stand the test of time.
Care, Maintenance, and Budgeting
Now, you have managed to build your versatile capsule wardrobe, but hey, it doesn’t stop there. You would need to properly care, maintain and budget your expenses when getting additional ones.
Care and Maintenance:
- Follow Care Instructions: Every clothing comes with instructions for proper care and maintenance. Always stick to the instructions on the label so as to elongate the lifespan of the piece.
- Rotate and Rest: One quick hack for maintaining clothing is to rotate and rest. You should not wear a particular piece of clothing over time, doing so will cause it to either wear and tear or become overused. Once in a while, alternate your pants with jeans, chinos and all that, then revisit your pants after you may after rotated enough.
- Storage Matters: Like every label always reads, “Store in a cool, dry place”. Storage procedures should be kept in place when getting new pieces. Your wardrobes, hangers and whatnot need to be checked in preparation for your new clothes.
- Proper Cleaning: While it is important for one to properly dry-clean clothing pieces. It should also be noted that over-washing can make the fabric fade off, this wouldn’t be a good look on you, as you may read off as cheap. So when washing be moderate and do not over-wash.
- Pilling Prevention: To prevent pilling on sweaters and knits, store them folded rather than on hangers. Avoid wearing them with rough or abrasive materials.
- Set a Capsule Wardrobe Budget: Draw up a budget for your capsule wardrobe setup. This is important as it helps prevent impulsive buying and it also checks excess spending.
- Prioritize Essentials: Most streetwear pieces are not only known for their versatility and functionality but they are also known to be timeless and sustainable. So when shopping for pieces, you should prioritize accordingly and shop for items you can use over time.
- Secondhand and Vintage: Vintage style should be factored in when shopping for streetwear pieces. Vintage shirts, shorts, coats and so on, these staples are the original streetwear elements and have come from say 10-20 years ago. If anything, it shows sustainability and timelessness. You definitely would need to get this in your wardrobe.
- Budget for Maintenance: Factor in maintenance costs when budgeting for your clothing. There could be a little tear here and there, probably a zipper cut or something. Having a budget to oversee these things would come in very handy.
- Save and Plan: When budgeting for clothing in general, it is always good to plan ahead by saving for that cause. This means you have just enough to cover whatever budget you might have put in place to get those clothing.
One of the ways to make the most out of your capsule wardrobe is by caring for and maintaining it properly while sticking to a well-mapped-out budget. In the end, one should be able to maintain a collection of versatile clothing items, that are both timeless and budget-environmental friendly.